Thread: VX GTS Intake

Post Thanks / Like

Question VX GTS Intake

Hi All,

On the weekend I had my VX GTS tune and it has come alive to say the least in comparison to stock. The main thing we noticed but was the intake temps didn't really come below 50 degrees, so am looking at getting an OTR to help this. The two options that have been put to me are the Duspeed and the VCM.

I have put the links below to both options, what are peoples experiences with these? There is $105 difference in price.

http://vcmstore.com.au/collections/i...f-less-otr-kit

http://www.duspeed.com.au/7/otr

Cheers

Maccas

Post Thanks / Like
    Considered APS Airbox?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the DUS and it works.
    I prefer the look of the DUS over the VCM
    My IATs are considerably better, usually pretty close to ambient.
    DUS himself is a pretty decent bloke (or seems that way) who has been in the game for a while. Be warned, if you talk to him on the phone, he does like a chat.
    It does need a small mod to the plastic on top of the radiator for it to sit flush, but it is seriously not even 5mins of work.

4. Likes Maccas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    VCM any day of the week, heard to many problems, power loss ect from the DUS.

I had the alloy VCM on my LS1 never had any issues, though you hear alot about the heat issues with them, as in the alloy gets hot, but my LS1 flew and flawless.

VE had DUS then VCM, DUS was always so hot you couldn't even touch it after driving, changed to the VCM and was barely even warm and oil temps were down 5-6 degrees, tune wasnt adjusted or anything.

President Oz LSx Club
    https://www.facebook.com/OzLSxClub
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/OzLSxClub/
    Instagram: @ozlsxclub #ozlsxclub

6. Likes Maccas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

VX GTS Intake

Never had a problem with my DUS. Its fibreglass composition is well moulded and it flows well enough for me to still hold the crown as the fastest NA car at Temora for the Club @ 235km/h with only 265rwkw (maybe thats the secret boys and girls lol). The filter isn't huge but if its correctly oiled I don't believe it represents a significant restriction. I do race with mine removed #becasueracecar

The VCM option I have had nothing to do with. It looks as well made as the VE option, but looking at the panel design efficiency at speed; I don't believe will be as good as the DUS due to the flat face and exposed filter. The DUS runs a scoop and trakt design which which I think will channel more air.
    Last edited by Macca; 15-03-2016 at 12:48 PM.

8. Likes Maccas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wasn't going to have any input as my only experience with OTRs is VE (my VZ had a modified HSV airbox) but my experience with VE OTRs is the opposite to Disco's. My ute had a Dus which I loved the look of and it never caused me a problem. Filter was easy to access for cleaning, IATs were exactly at ambient when moving and only rose slowly when stopped. The Senator has a VCM which does look more factory but the filter is apparently a pain to get out and it has had the usual problems with warping and not sealing. God knows how much shit the engine has ingested!!

10. Likes Maccas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Another vote here for the Dus mate, on a pre VE I think they are the way to go. I first had an alloy OTR on the SS then swapped it out for a Dus. My motive for change was mainly for looks but we noticed a better throttle response all be it slight. Like Macca said the Dus has a duct that sits down in front of the radiator so it's collecting fresh air befor it hit the engine bay.

I would encourage you to try a two hole HSV air box with monaro heat shield set up before forking out the bucks on an OTR. If your not stressed about keeepig te stock look then just get an OTR i guess.
    [CENTER][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR="#FF8C00"][SIZE=6]Oz LSX Club Member # 25[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]
    [CENTER] [SIZE=2] 99 VT HSV Senator Wagon [/SIZE][/CENTER]
    [CENTER] [SIZE=2] 05 VZ HSV Avalanche Wagon [/SIZE][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][/CENTER]

12. Likes Macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cheers everyone for their input, will make a decision over the next week or so which path i want to go, as i want to do the right option for the future plans.

Cava as for the airbox what i have standard is as good if not better.

Cheers

Maccas

Post Thanks / Like

VX GTS Intake

Quote Originally Posted by Maccas View Post
    Cheers everyone for their input, will make a decision over the next week or so which path i want to go, as i want to do the right option for the future plans.

Cava as for the airbox what i have standard is as good if not better.

Cheers

Maccas
    All good mate.

I went the air box and sold my DUS. Was much happier. Felt better and did make more power on the aps dyno. I listened to Luis's advice.

Not to mention it looked stock. Which I liked. Looks wise the DUS is the best of the OTR IMO

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah thats fair Cava, my car is street tuned, dyno figures dont really faze me, mine is more about the seat of my pants approval. I had the airbox setup on my VE and found it a bit doughy down low, especially when i put the stock airbox back on.

Cheers

Maccas

Post Thanks / Like
    Rumour has it that your going the DUS...

President Oz LSx Club
    https://www.facebook.com/OzLSxClub
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/OzLSxClub/
    Instagram: @ozlsxclub #ozlsxclub

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Maccas;1742a2
    Yeah thats fair Cava, my car is street tuned, dyno figures dont really faze me, mine is more about the seat of my pants approval. I had the airbox setup on my VE and found it a bit doughy down low, especially when i put the stock airbox back on.

Cheers

Maccas
    Yeah that's cool man. Each to own. Seat of pants I thought it was other way around to what u experienced.

Post Thanks / Like
    i have DUS and i works so well . i have never faced any problem with this. DUS is better than VCM. DUS is so smooth and flawless.

Thread Information